What's a Chris?
Hi there, my name's Chris! Thanks for checking out my awesome, rad, newly-refurbished website (pardon any sawdust or construction cones). About a year and a half ago, I decided to take some time away from the mechanical engineering world and pursue my passion for programming (and aliteration) in the tech development field. Currently, I am involved in various projects as a software engineer at Sony Electronics in San Diego, CA.
Throughout the past few years working within the mechanical engineering industry, I have been able to combine my passion for engineering with creative design, fusing form with function. My curiosity and enthusiasm for learning new skills motivates me to stay current with developing technologies and fuels my projects both at work and at home. As a result, I am excited to continue leveraging my newly acquired programming skills to gain exposure and credibility in the consumer product industry. I look forward to using everything I have learned thus far to make innovative and unique ideas come to life in the very near future!
If you like my work, have a particular idea/project you'd like to discuss, or just want to say "hi", feel free to shoot me a line.
Also, while I've got your attention, feel free to check out some of my work here!
Advanced 3D CAD experience (SolidWorks, Autodesk Inventor, Pro/e); proficiency in Microsoft Office, Photoshop/Illustrator; familiarity with Jenkins CI/CD, AWS Console, Docker.
Design for Manufacturability, mechanical/assembly design, hands-on machine shop and tooling skills, rapid prototyping, 3D printing, finite element analysis, technical writing, and Arduino/Raspberry Pi project experience.
jQuery, Bootstrap, React, BackboneJS, Jasmine and Rspec/Capybara testing tools, Electron, Heroku, Amazon Web Services, JIRA/Confluence, API Blueprint.
- Programmer, engineer, and maker-of-things who is passionate about fusing form with function.
- 5+ years in the mechanical engineering industry, 3+ years experience in hardware design.
- Current software engineer involved in various projects at Sony Electronics in San Diego, CA.
Sony Electronics | San Diego, CA
Software Engineer | March 2017 - Current
- Assist in the full-stack migration of an internal-use admin console application and related microservices to Amazon Web Services (AWS), including the conversion of a single MongoDB instance to a fault-tolerant replica set.
- Continually implement front-and back-end bug fixes and feature requests for the admin console app.
- Design, implement, and integrate an Arduino-driven retail display prototype with an interactive user interface for future production.
- Create an internal-use, cross-platform Electron application for configuring retail displays utilizing existing APIs.
- Convert legacy continuous integration and deployment Jenkins processes to “pipeline as code” via a Jenkinsfile script.
- Implement server-side http request validation and sanitization for all API endpoints, along with comprehensive unit testing for public and private endpoints using JasmineJS.
- Update and maintain API server documentation using API Blueprint, a markdown language geared towards documenting web APIs.
Victorise | Carlsbad, CA
Full-Stack Developer (Intern) | Feb 2017 - March 2017
- Assisted in the MVP development of the Victorise sports tracking app using the MEAN stack (MongoDB, ExpressJS, AngularJS, NodeJS) wrapped in the Cordova/Ionic frameworks for cross-platform use (iOS and Android).
- Optimized mobile app runtime by isolating and prioritizing data-loading methods on startup.
- Designed, modeled, and 3D printed the goggle attachment for the app's arduino/bluetooth hardware.
Carlsbad Manufacturing Corporation | Carlsbad, CA
Product Design Engineer | March 2015 - Oct 2016
- Applied engineering and design-for-manufacturability (DFM) principles to the fabrication of new client projects and existing manufacturing processes (steel, aluminum, fiberglass, and PVC).
- Provided remote and on-site support for all internal manufacturing facilities.
- Interpreted customer specifications/requirements to create or modify SolidWorks models and technical drawings.
- Initiated new product design and development.
- Provided support and feedback to new SolidWorks users within the company.
BRICKH3D | Encinitas, CA
President/Owner | Feb 2014 - Current
- Sole proprietor of BRICKH3D: a unique custom 3D printing consumer experience.
- Carry products from the design stages of sketching/CAD through prototyping and field testing.
- Extensively problem-solve within all facets of business, from troubleshooting printer hardware and software, g-code, and product designs to improving e-commerce website and operations.
- Continually learning new tasks in a timely manner while adhering to self-imposed timelines.
BMT Scientific Marine Services | Escondido, CA
Mechanical Engineer (Contract) | Aug 2014 - Nov 2014
- Designed and developed SolidWorks parts/assemblies for subsea monitoring instrumentation.
- Assisted the quality control of CAD models, ensuring design-for-manufacturability and adherence to specifications set forth by the client and ISO design standards for subsea applications.
- Collaborated with fellow engineers to ensure subsystems interface as intended per top-level design specs.
- Generated technical reports reflecting design-basis and FEA for client review and approval.
QuikScann3D | Encinitas, CA
3D Scanning and Printing Technician | Nov 2013 - Aug 2014
- Provided technical assistance for the first U.S. direct-to-customer 3D body scanning and printing service.
- Processed raw data from projected light-based scanners to produce fully colored and textured PLY files.
- Developed customizable CAD models to 3D print along with client body scans.
- Mobilized equipment and scanned talent on-location for various Hollywood movie studios, including Disney and Paramount.
UC Davis Engineering Fabrication Lab | Davis, CA
Student Assistant | July 2011 - July 2013
- Completed various self-directed and assigned manufacturing and fabrication projects.
- Operated and maintained machines, tools, and 3D rapid prototyping printer.
- Utilized Autodesk Inventor to design replacement parts and tools for use throughout shop.
- Trained new student assistants in safety standards and shop procedures.
- Acted as lead rapid prototyping technician, supporting users with 3D CAD design and printing.
San Diego, CA | March 2017
University of California, Davis
Davis, CA | June 2013
Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering (BSME)
Description: Local network API/UI server running on a Raspberry Pi 3, designed to work with Arduino-powered relays over WiFi for a custom-built internet of things (IoT) solution.
Skills Employed: Arduino (C++), Raspberry Pi, React, Node/ExpressJS, 3D modeling/printing, electronics.
Description: Arduino-powered 12 x 12 LED matrix with full-stack web/mobile app controller.
Whelp (Barks and Rec)
Description: Group project completed at LEARN Academy where users can create, share, and RSVP to dog-friendly venues and events in their area.
Description: Portfolio website concept, designed from scratch for practice to host resumé, projects, and skills.